Ethiopian guitarist, Singer/songwriter and composer, Etsegenet was born in Addis Ababa - Ethiopia. She started her musical career at very early in life by singing in her elementary school. After graduating from high school, her pursuit for music continued and she joined a private college "Mekane Yesus school of Jazz music" where she graduated with honors in Music Performance in 2010.
In 2011, Etsegenet won a scholarship to study music abroad and moved to Los Angeles, California, to join the "Los Angeles Collage of Music" (LACM) in Pasadena, CA. Etsegenet had the opportunity to work, perform and record with musicians from all over the world. While attending LACM (2011-2013), she was fortunate to learn under great musicians such as; Art Renshaw (Joe Pass, Lenny Breau), Bill Fowler (Raquel Welch, Ben Vereen), Dave Pozzi (Celine Dion, Diana Krall), Howie Shear (George Benson, Stevie Wonder), Jerry Watts (Andy Summers, Herbie Hancock), Jody Fisher (Mike Stern, John Abercrombie), Tariqh Akoni (Stevie Wonder, Christina Aguilera, Backstreet Boys), Tony Inzalaco (Oscar Peterson, Dexter Gordon) and many others. Currently, Etsegenet is performing as a Bass player with the Los Angeles based band called "Wondem" and with multiple other bands as a Guitarist, Bass player and Singer all around the US.
Etsegenet's Musical Highlights:
- Released first Album “YIMETAL” Singer, songwriter, guitarist and arranger
- Choir singer for Oscar nominated song “HAPPY” by Pharrell Williams
- Recorded Guitar for "Sincerely Ethiopia" documentary which was nominated for the Best Documentary at the "African Movie Academy Awards"
- Recorded vocal for Award winning documentary "Get Together Girls" produced and shot by Award Winning Filmmaker, Vanessa Crocini
- Participated in several Jazz, Funk and Rock ensembles playing with world-known musicians such as Philip Bynoe (Steve Vai), Howie Shear (George Benson, Stevie Wonder)
- Recording sessions with producers such as Ted Pearlman (Bob Dylan, Elton John, Whitney Houston), John Avila (Oingo Boingo, Steve Vai) and Kibrom Birhane (The Empire Assembly, Mekrez Chior)
- Performed at Ethiopian venues with different Addis Ababa based bands
- Guitarist and singer at First Baptist Church Pasadena, CA January 2012-January 2015
Etsegenet’s strength lies not only in Music but Modeling as well. She has 7 years of experience in Modeling. Some of her Modeling act includes working as a Musician Model for 'Abercrombi and Fitch' Stars on a Rise campaign with the Legendary Photographer Bruce Weber. Etsegenet holds a Certificate in Modeling from the 'Next Modeling School, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia' where she graduated in May 2006.